Content Writing is a rapidly rising industry, but many of us are still unaware of many interesting aspects related to this amazingly growing domain.
As a profession, it’s about using appropriate words for expressing your ideas to convey your message in such a manner that it reaches, influence, and convince the audience to take action.
In this article, we will discuss:
- Content Writing
- Content Writers
- Job responsibilities of a Content Writer
- Technical Content Writers
- Job responsibilities of a Technical Content Writer
- Types of content writing jobs
What is Content Writing?
Content Writing is the process of creating unique content on any particular topic using simple and precise words capable enough to deliver your message to the audience.
Moreover, writing involves thorough research on the topic to gain in-depth understanding and knowledge.
After detailed research, the proposed topic is explained in a precise way so that the readers can understand it easily.
You can certainly choose to be a full-time content writer, or you can begin your career as a freelance content writer.
Different Types of Content Copy
People usually think that content writing is limited to writing articles. Well, that’s not true! It includes writing different types of contents, some of which are:
- Blogs & Articles
- Guest Posts
- Website Content
- Landing pages
- Instruction Manuals
- Scripts/ Voiceover for videos
- Email Newsletter
What is a Content Writer?
Content Writers are professionals who analyze the purpose behind writing any particular piece of content and then develop captivating content that fulfils the very objective.
The primary role of professional content writers is to understand the business requirements and create engaging content as per client’s business-specific needs certainly for increasing sales.
The content writers usually prefer writing content in a specific domain such as travel, technology, banking and finance, hospitality, retail, etc.
Content writers are also known as Web Content Writers, Copywriters, Content Curators, etc.; their job duties remain the same though (with a little variation).
When it comes to technology, the write-ups are quite different with a lesser creative element and more to-the-point approach.
If you do not possess any relevant academic credentials, you can still opt for a professional content writer course to learn the basics of content writing.
However, it’s good to know some helpful tips and tricks for starting content writing as a career to become successful in this vibrant industry.
Content Writer Job Description
- Developing content by performing thorough research on the industry-specific topic
- Preparing well-structured draft using CMS (Content Management System)
- Writing a precise and clear marketing copy that promotes the client’s product.
- Deliver unique, grammatically correct and plagiarism-free content
- Identify customer’s core requirements and provide the solution accordingly
Requirements for Content Writer Job Profile
- Portfolio of the published content
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office
- Familiarity with Content Management System (e.g. WordPress)
- Proven Work experience as a Content Writer, Content Strategist, Copywriter or a similar role
- Excellent English Language Skills
- Ability to understand business requirements and develop content to achieve business goals
- Bachelor’s Degree/ Diploma in Journalism, Mass Communication Marketing or related field
What is Technical Content Writer?
A Technical Content Writer or Technical Writer is a professional who writes well-researched content for technology-related topics.
Indeed, the writers working in this domain are tech-savvy and highly paid in comparison to other writers.
Besides informational blogs, articles, and other online contents, technical writers are responsible for developing user manuals, how-to guides and other documentation for software applications and sometimes hardware equipment.
Technical Writers possess a good understanding and knowledge of the latest software apps as well as technologies.
Technical Content Writer Job Description
- Developing high-quality product documentation
- Writing instruction manuals and how-to guides to explain the functionality of the product to its users
- Working in collaboration with design and development teams to thoroughly understand the product and develop accurate content
- Writing blogs, articles, and web copy to promote software product to the target audience
- Writing Whitepapers, Newsletters to promote Company’s latest information and updates with CXOs, CTOs, CEOs, MDs, etc., of partner companies.
- Update existing content on the Company’s online channels.
Requirements for Technical Writer Job Profile
- Proven work experience in developing technical documentation for software apps
- Ability to pay attention to details and develop accurate content based on product specifications
- Excellent English writing skills
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
- Basic knowledge of Software Development Life Cycle
- Ability to understand complex technical concepts quickly and convey them to the audience in simple words
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office
Content Writer Jobs Online
Finding the right content writing job is undoubtedly a challenging task; however, if you are a passionate and dedicated writer, you will definitely find a good match.
Part-time/Full-Time Job Opportunities:
Content Writing Freelance Projects/ Technical Writing Projects:
For freelance content writing jobs, you can browse through Upwork, Freelancer, Fiverr, etc. Certainly, the best thing about freelance jobs is that you can work from home and set your own working hours. Moreover, you can easily earn a decent income by acquiring right freelancing projects.
Begin as an Intern Content Writer
You can also start as an intern if you are looking for a beginning level job in content writing domain.
I hope this helps you gain sufficient information on content writing, technical content writing and job roles that a content writer needs to perform.
So, start your content writing career today!